In any situation that requires a cool head and the ability to think, the capacity to regulate one’s own anxiety is an advantage. The one who can be helpful, particularly in stressful situations, is the one who can be less reactive than others involved.
To that end, I view meditation as an important strategy. Meditation, practiced regularly can have two distinct effects on one’s state of mind.
- During meditation, one can experience a broader perspective and a calming of anxiety.
- With regular meditation, one can experience a reduction in reactivity overall and a lower vulnerability to anxiety.
Important aspects of meditative practice include:
1. Posture: maintaining the natural S-curve of the spineShare On:
2. Focus: directing attention to the breath
3. Breathing: with shoulders relaxed, breathing is from the lower abdomen
4. Intention: the act of practicing is the purpose, with no specific goal in mind